The Inventory Manager position involves a variety of responsibilities related to achieving and maintaining optimal inventory practices that maximize the production of the sales team. The position focuses on managing the markets inventory staff and processes including: receiving, tracking of merchandise, communicating with the sales team about current needs, following up with vendors about the status of specific items, and adjusting priorities based on the changing needs of the market. This position could oversee and direct the work of others.
- Oversee and/or delegate work to Inventory Clerks.
- Set and maintain the work schedule of the Inventory Department and its staff.
- Conducts interviews for department employees and makes primary decision on hiring and termination.
- Examine contents and compare with records, such as manifests, invoices, or orders, to verify accuracy of incoming or outgoing shipment.
- Analyze inventory needs of market and makes appropriate purchases at his/her discretion.
- Prepare documents, such as work orders, bills of lading, or shipping orders, to route materials.
- Compare merchandise invoices to items actually received to ensure that shipments are correct.
- Requisition merchandise from supplier based on available space, merchandise on hand, customer demand, or advertised specials.
- Research accessory websites to stay current on trends/purchase options.
- Build and maintain relationships with accessory vendors.
- Record shipment data, such as weight, charges, space availability, damages, or discrepancies for reporting, accounting, or recordkeeping purposes.
- Determine shipping method for merchandise, using knowledge of shipping procedures, routes, and rates.
- Deliver or route inventory to stores.
- Manage/document product returns or exchanges.
- Pack, seal, label, and affix postage to prepare merchandise for shipping.
- Confer or correspond with appropriate person(s) to rectify problems, such as damages, shortages, or nonconformance to specifications.
- Requisition and store shipping materials and supplies.
- Contact carrier representatives to make arrangements or to issue instructions for shipping and delivery of materials.
- Compute amounts, such as space available, shipping, or storage.
- Accountability: Accepting responsibility that results in anticipation/prevention of problem areas from actions, and problem solving inside and outside the department/organization.
- Initiative: Spotting opportunities within a circle of influence; anticipating threats and acting on them; self-starting rather than waiting passively until the situation demands action.
- Planning and Organizing: Setting priorities and defining actions, time, and resources needed to achieve predefined goals.
- Problem Solving: Having the ability to identify problems and issues of varying complexities and to find effective solutions with few guidelines.
- Written Communication: Expressing ideas and opinions clearly in properly structured, well-organized, and grammatically correct reports or documents; utilizing language and terminology.
This position has supervisory responsibilities.
This job is in a store/retail environment
Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Required Education and Experience
- High School diploma or GED
Preferred Education and Experience
- Previous inventory experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.