Senior Software Engineer
Software Engineering Manager
A Senior Software Engineer is a professional who is expected to strive to develop software solutions to help our business stay on the leading edge of operational excellence while providing guidance and mentoring to other engineers. A Senior Engineer is expected to be a technical leader working with other engineers to strive to develop hardware, software and network solutions to help our business stay on the leading edge of operational excellence.
- Design, develop, test, maintain and troubleshoot hardware and software solutions.
- Determines operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
- Documents and demonstrates solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, and charts.
- Train the support teams on any new project or process their team delivers while also providing guidance to the support teams as difficult problems escalate.
- Updates job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming or implementation techniques, and computing equipment; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Provides information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing engineering and service issues.
- Accomplishes engineering and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
- Develops solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; following the company’s engineering methodology.
- Collaborate with the quality assurance team to identity and address issues within the proposed solution
- Provides technical leadership for other engineers on projects
- Break down high level (often vague) requests into well-defined work for themselves and others
- Works on complex projects on their own without help from other engineers
- Attention to Detail: Taking responsibility for a thorough and detailed method of working.
- Initiative: Spotting opportunities within a circle of influence; anticipating threats and acting on them; self-starting rather than waiting passively until the situation demands action.
- Planning and Organizing: Setting priorities and defining actions, time, and resources needed to achieve predefined goals.
- Problem Solving: Having the ability to identify problems and issues of varying complexities and to find effective solutions with few guidelines.
- Results Orientation: Being persistent and showing perseverance on achieving concrete and tangible results out of personal responsibility; getting optimum results from situations and being ready to take action and show tenacity in case of obstacles or resistance.
- Teamwork: Working as a productive member of a cohesive group toward a common goal, and contributing to team development and effective team dynamics.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Must be able to sit for long periods of time. Must be able to stand for long periods of time. Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.
0 to 5%
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering related field such as computer science, mathematics, information technology, computer engineering or information sciences or similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience.
- 5-10 years of experience working as a professional engineer.
Preferred Education and Experience
- MCSD certification, MCSE certification a plus.
- Interest and ability to learn other coding/scripting languages as needed.
- Extensive experience with one or more general purpose engineering methodologies including but not limited to: Waterfall, SCRUM or XP.
- Extensive experience engineering with PCI, PII & HIPAA standards in mind.
- Experience working in general networking, systems and software engineering
Additional Eligibility Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Experience with Microsoft Visio
- Experience acting as a Technical Lead on a project team
- Experience working with all levels of leadership within the technology organization
- Extensive experience with creating and following coding and engineering standards in accordance with applicable methodologies and industry best practices.
- Extensive experience with providing estimated level of effort, evaluating technology options, and offering suggestions to improve processes
- Extensive experience with collaborating with a team while adding value through participation in peer code reviews, providing comments and suggestions
- Experience mentoring other engineers
- Extensive experience with producing and reviewing product, system and/or application documentation
- Takes lead on gathering, documenting, and sizing requirements, systems definitions, features analysis, and system specifications.
- Extensive experience with reviewing requirements, translating the requirement into a software-based solution to provide new functionality to new and existing software applications.
- Extensive experience with designing and implementing an intuitive user interface based on company defined standards and templates.
- Extensive experience with designing and implementing server side business logic using the Microsoft .NET platform.
- Extensive experience with designing and implementing web services using the Microsoft .NET platform.
- Extensive experience with designing and implementing MVC based web sites using the Microsoft .NET platform.
- Extensive experience with designing and implementing new and existing databases, tables and relevant database objects using Microsoft SQL Server or other relational database platforms.
- Extensive experience with designing and maintaining complex schema and data interfaces
- Experience identifying and utilizing software engineering tools such as configuration management systems, build processes, debuggers and code profiles.
- Experience with SQL query tuning
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.